Saint-Germain Abbey in Auxerre
Discovering a place steeped in history
A visit not to be missed during your stay in Auxerre? Saint-Germain Abbey, located just 5 minutes' walk from our Best Western Signature Collection Hôtel Le Maxime.
A major heritage site in the Yonne
For all visitors, whether you are art lovers or history buffs, the Saint-Germain Abbey is a must-see monument to visit in Auxerre. A first construction on the tomb of the bishop of Auxerre, Saint-Germain, is mentioned as early as the 5th century. This monastic complex still has a beautiful ensemble.
The crypts are the oldest preserved buildings, dating from the 9th century and built around the tomb of Saint-Germain. A guided tour of these crypts, unique in France, will allow you to learn more about the history of the abbey.
This magnificent site combines Carolingian buildings with the crypts of the abbey:
- Carolingian with the 9th century crypts
- Romanesque with the Saint-Jean tower, the chapter house and the old 12th century sacristy
- Gothic with the cellar and the 14th century high church
- Classical with the scriptorium and dormitories rebuilt in the 17th century and the cloister, the former refectory and the abbot's dwelling from the 18th century
The Saint-Germain Museum
The Saint-Germain Abbey is also home to the Musée d'Art et d'Histoire d'Auxerre, classified as a Musée de France. It invites you to discover objects from the past of the town of Auxerre and its region, from prehistory to the Middle Ages.
The two main pieces to discover :
- the Shroud of Saint-Germain, an exceptional Byzantine fabric from the year 1000
- the Guerchy Horse
Presentation of a health pass is compulsory.
2bis Place Saint-Germain
Opening hours :
- 2 January to 31 March: every day except Tuesday, from 10am to 12pm and from 2pm to 5pm
- 1 April to 30 June: every day except Tuesday, from 10am to 12pm and from 2pm to 6pm
- 1 July to 31 August: daily, 10am to 12.30pm and 1.30pm to 6pm
- 1 September to 31 October: every day except Tuesday, from 10am to 12pm and from 2pm to 6pm
- 2 November to 31 December: every day except Tuesday, from 10am to 12pm and from 2pm to 5pm
Only guided tours of the crypts are charged: 7€ for 30 to 40 minutes.